Latest Articles / Reviews
The newest main articles
Review of Bladelius Mimer - The beautiful duckling.
Some products evoke a discreet yawn upon its arrival. Bladelius Mimer located at the opposite end of the scale.
- PENTATONE - A portrait of an audiophile record label.
PentaTone Classics is a record Label that found the day of light in 2001. They are located in Baarn, about half an hour south-east of Amsterdam in Netherlands. Having been going through a rebranding process in 2013, they are now known as PENTATONE. As a Major supplier of audiophile recordings on multichannel SACDs, this is a record label of special interest.
- NAD D3020 - the art of jumping after Bjorn Erik Edvardsen.
Nad D3020 follows a giant of an ancestor. But can it manage to fill the deep grooves?
- Audiovector Discreet - the Danish response to Linn Exakt?
Saturday Isak Strand from Ljudtema made a visit to Musik Magazinet in Bergen. And so did we.
- Argon inet2 + - More or less?
When Spotify launched Connect earlier this autumn, Argon declared that they were the world's first HW-device with Spotify Connect on board. The device is called inet2 +.
- ASR Emitter II Exclusive - Review
My long hesitation in my ultimate choice of amplifier is now over. This summer, after a few trials of alternatives I got the possibility to test out at my own listening room, I decided to buy German ASR. Not because it is the perfect amplifier in every way, but because it offers some qualities I have not heard anything like before ...
- Product-event with Von Schweikert and Burson Audio at Renaissance Audio
Saturday morning Roald Mikkelsen had invited to an event at the Renaissance Audio in Støletorget Bergen. We were there.
- We dive into Linn`s DS-Concept
- Wimp Hifi trial run
Wimp Hifi went on the air today, 01. october. We had a test drive.
- Linn Exakt - we dive a little deeper
After news article monday 23. about Linn Exakt, we have received further information from both norwegian dealer Kontrapunkt, and other information obtained from Linn Forum ant other sources.
LATEST: THis article is updated 25.09., with added information and a video from Youtube.
- Tannoy DC10T - Review
Tannoy's top model in the new Definitionserien had long attracted attention. When they were borrowed from Stereofil for a thorough test round, it had some unintended consequences ...
- Tannoy Mercury V1 - Test
Tannoy have very long history with its Mercury Series, the most affordable speakers in a family that has a gigantic range both in terms of size and price. Mercury V1 is located at one end of this spectrum.
- Amplifiers with processor input
Audiophile.no has made a list of stereo preamps and integrated amps that have one sort of processor-input. This list will be continuously updated.
- Linn Majik - Presslaunch in Glasgow 2006
The Scottish producer Linn have a launch of a new series of two-channel electronics, based on the old Linn-name Majik. Tuesday 16. of march this series was resented to Hifi Journalists from Spain, Portugal, France, Denmark, Sweden and Norway. An extensive tour at all Linn`s facilities around Glasgow was followed by presentation and demonstration of the new Majik-series.
Latest Music article
The latest music articles
RECORD REVIEW: Grieg. Garborg - Vinje - Ibsen.
Marianne Beate Kielland and Nils Anders Mortensen has recorded three of Grieg's song cycle on SACD on LaWo. I've listened to it:
- RECORD REVIEW: Kjell Mørk Karlsen - Meditatio
Aurora has released a CD in which Inger-Lise Ulsrud and Frida Fredrikke Waaler Wærvågen has recorded three works composed by Kjell Mørk Karlsen. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW: 40 years `Credibility - it's also 40 years of High Fidelity?
KKV turn 40 this year, and they mark it with a 4 CD box. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW: Kristin Skaare - Er
Kristin Skaare has released a new album at KKV. The name is "er".
- RECORD REVIEW: Olof Løvmo Trio - Wood Songs.
Olof Løvmo Trio has released the CD Wood Songs on KKV. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW: Dunedin Consort - Mozart's Requiem - Reconstruction of the first performance.
Dunedin Consort under the direction of John Butt has made a very special recording of Mozart's Requiem. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW: Ketil Bjørnstad - Ophelia `s Arrival / Minotauros
Grappa is rereleasing the synth rock productions Ophelia`s Arrival / Minotauros on CD. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW: Håkon Stene - Lush Laments for Lazy Mammal
Håkon Stene release the CD Lush Laments Lazy Mammal. I've listened to it.
- Sony Music heavily into Pure Audio Blu-ray?
In November, Sony Music launched its first release in Pure Audio Blu-ray. Now it is rumored about 20 mure during the spring.
- RECORD REVIEW: Martin Helmchen - Mozart Piano Concertos No.. 15 & 27 - Multi-Channel SACD - Penta Tone Classics.
I have listened to this recording by the young pianist Martin Helmchen, and compared it with another recording two other piano concertos with the equally young Norwegian pianist Christian Idle Hadland.
- RECORD REVIEW: Mozart – Piano concertos Nos. 21 and 22. Christian Ihle Hadland – Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra – Arvid Engegård. Simax.
This recording from Simax with two piano concertos by Mozart performed by Christian Ihle Hadland as a soloist, I compared with two different piano concertos performed by Martin Helmchen, released on Penta Tone Classics.
- RECORD REVIEW. Remote Galaxy - 2L - Pure Audio Blu-ray
Flint Juventino Beppe has composed the music on Remote Galaxy. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW: Arvo Pärt - Adam's Lament.
Adam's Lament with compositions by Arvo Pärt, released on ECM New Series was one of the Grammy winners last weekend. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW: Erling Sunnarvik - Excursion
Erling Sunnarvik has released a SACD containing music with large time spans. I've been listenig.
- RECORD REVIEW: Auryn's Haydn Op.76 - Blu-ray Audio - Tacet
TACET has released Haydn's String Quartet Opus 76 with Auryn Quartet on Blu-ray Audio. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW. Colores - Galdos / Frantzen - Lawo Classics - SACD.
The Spanish soprano Itziar Martinez Galdos and the Norwegian Per Arne Franzen has recorded a multi-channel SACD with Lawo Classics. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW: Out of Darkness - Pure Audio Blu-ray - 2L
2L releases new Pure Audio Blu-ray/SACD. The music on Out Of Darkness is composed of Torbjørn Dyrud. I've listened to it.
- RECORD REVIEW - Som Den Gyldne Sol - Reiersrud / Kleive / Dissing - KKV
In early November, we reported of Som Den Gyldne Sol in RECORD NEWS. Now we have been listening to this record.
- Marianne Thorsen / Trondheimsolistene - Mozart
In addition to its rich cultural traditions of knitting mittens and home burned production, the municipality Selbu with its location at the dark side of Jonsvannet a beautiful church where the oldest parts believed to date from the 1100s. In this church the Trondheimsolistene arranged a concert with Marianne Thorsen as soloist on three of Mozart's violin concertos one day in May this year (2006). This led to a release of the combined CD / SA-CD on the label 2L.
- Ian Shaw - Drawn to all things
Ian Shaw is a British Jazz singer in the top echelon, and he did venture to create an entire SA-CD with cover versions of a selection of Joni Mitchell's songs.
- Claire Martin - When lights are low - Record Review
This album by Claire Martin on Linn Records differs quite markedly from the previous release in my collection from the same artist. Where "Too Darn Hot" can easily be graded vice gala jazz, this latest release far more low-key and subdued.
- Ketil Bjørnstad - Sunrise - ECM - Record Review.
We have definitely met the trio Bjørnstad - Bremnes - Munch before. Is this really Separation-2?
- Barb Jungr – Walking in the Sun - Linn Records - record review
The album Walking in the Sun is the sixth album from Linn Records by Barb Jungr, including the trio release Girl Talk with Mari Wilson and Claire Martin. The female singer is one of my favorite artists on this label. So where do we find this release in the terrain?
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem in D minor K626 [Hybrid SACD Muliti Channel]
Scottish Chamber Orchestra, conducted by the late Sir Charles Mackerras
- Judith Owen - Happy This Way - Linn records - Record review
Linn Records have some artists that dominate the disc releases. This applies mainly to the genre classic, but perhaps to an even greater degree in jazz. Therefore, it is interesting and exciting when the staff expanded with new artists. And Judith Owen is a new artist for Linn Records.
- Artur Pizarro - Maurice Ravel - Linn Records - Record Review
The Portuguese-born pianist Artur Pizarro is not a new artist at Linn Records, with his beautiful and lively interpretations of Bethoven's piano sonatas and Chopin`s reminisanser and sonatas. These are divided into four SACD discs, all of which are hybrid multi-channel records.
Now it is the turn of impressionist composers, and first out is this album with compositions by Ravel. It is the first in a series of two, to form the complete piano works of Maurice Ravel.
- James Gilchrist - On Wenlock Edge - Linn Records - Record Review
The English tenor James Gilchrist has released his second album on Linn Records. As expected, it is a Hybrid Multichannel SACD.
- Kuniko Kata - Cantus - Linn Records - Record Review of Multichannel SACD
This release from Linn Records is far off the main streets. Kuniko Kata has made interpretations of Arvo Pärt, Steve Reich and Hywel Davies.
- Quiet Winter Night - Hoff Ensemble - 2L. Record Review.
This album was released just over a year ago. Content, sound, not to mention the season makes it just as relevant today.
- Brit Floyd in Grieghallen
Yesterday Pink Floyd played in Grieghallen. At least almost ...
- Mozart Symphonies no. 38-41 - S.C.O. / Mackerras - Record review
Linn Records have recorded Mozart 's last four symphonies. For this event, they of course hand picked Scottish Chamber Orchestra conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras .
- Kenneth Karlsson - The view was all in lines - 2L SACD - record review
"The view was all in lines" is a typical release from 2L. In other words, a publication that stands out by being untypical ..
- Iver Kleive - Organ music from deUSYNLIGE
Iver Kleive is an organplayer that is well represented in established audiophile record collections. Especially the works with Reiersrud on recordings with KKV has left a deep impression among music lovers who appreciate good sound, while valuing the genre boundaries neglected.
- Emma Bell – Handel operatic arias. Record Review
Handel is among the more underexposed opera composers, and this recording by Emma Bell with Scottish Chamber Orcestra helps to illustrate that it is about time to give these compositions even greater attention.
- Mahler's Symphony no. 4 - Linn Records. Record Review.
It has become more fragmented between the SACD releases from Linn Records in recent years. This record illustrates that it should have been far more.
- The Lyrical Bassoon – New SACD from 2L2L releases new multichannel recording. This time on SACD.
- High Fidelity Pure Audio - new format on Blu-ray?
One of the giants in the music industry, Universal Music Group has introduced a new high-definition format on Blu-ray. Will there be another flop, like the DVD-Audio can be argued to have been?
- Jienat -- Mira
Jienat based in Hammerfest have made a record in the new exciting format Pure Audio Blu-Ray. And we shouldn`t really be surprised finding a well known name connected to sound production.
- B & W Music Club - Download high-resolution music
Downloading music from the web is becoming more widespread. B&W Music Club has chosen an unusual approach to this issue.
- 2L - The Nordic Sound
The Record label 2L launches its third release in Blu-ray Audio. We have been listening to a pre-production sample.
- 2L - Divertimenti - english
Trondheimsolistene achieve Grammy nomination with the world's first pure audiodisc on Blu-Ray. We have been listening to the release.
- 2L - SONaR - English
Shortly we wrote about the Grammy-nominated Divertimenti from 2L, the release that also is the very first audio-only Blu-ray release. We have now been listening to the next release from this label.
Linn Akurate Exakt.
Linn Exakt`s new digital active concept has now come to a somewhat more moderately priced level of quality. Akurate level is next.
- Three new speakers models from Meredian
The British manufacturer has launched three new speaker models - DSP8000-SE, DSP7200-SE and DSP5200SE.
- New mid-range receivers from Onkyo
Onkyo Introduces New surroundreceivers in the midrange. We talk about the TX-NR737 and TX-NR838.
- Solution with new DAC
High-end manufacturer Solution launches new DAC. The name is 560 D/A-Converter.
- WiMP focus on classical
WiMP rates heavily on classical music, and employ an editor for classical music.
- Pro-Ject DAC Box DS - now with upgrade for DSD.
DAC Box DS with upgrade that allows it to also play DSD.
- RECORD NEWS: Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem. New Blu-Ray Audio from Naxos.
Naxos releases Ein Deutsches Requiem parallel to CD and Blu-Ray Audio. This is the third release of this work by Brahms on Naxos.
- RECORD NEWS: Gull i munn - new release from KKV
Jørn Simen Øverli & Sølvguttene publishes plates Gold In Mouth - Prøysens boy shows on the label KKV.
- RECORD NEWS: Ja vi elsker - new release on Pure Audio Blu-ray from 2L.
The Staff Band of the Norwegian Armed Forces along with Scola Cantorum choir has made a recording on 2L with national music, on the occasion constitution anniversary. It's called Ja vi elsker.
- New budget range of surroundreceivers from Yamaha
Yamaha has four new budsjetterceivere, and the largest models have several good news.
- Extrema - Extreme Limited Edition Anniversary edition from Sonus Faber.
Sonus faber has 30years anniversary and marking it with a reincarnation of the tripod speaker Extrema in a different modern guise.
- Electrocompaniet goes vinyl!
Electrocompaniet produce the first turnable in the company`s history. Yes, we are talking about vinyl!
- RECORD NEWS: Kjell Mørk Karlsen - Meditato
Aurora release a new CD with organmeditations and cello sonata, composed by Kjell Mørk Karlsen, performed by Inger-Lise Ulsrud on orgel og Frida Fredrikke Waaler Wærvågen on Cello. It is recorded in Uranienborg Kirke.
- RECORD NEWS: The Avison Ensemble - Corelli. New release from Linn Records.
The Avison Ensemble releases new multi-channel SADC on Linn Records. The music is Corelli: Opus 1 & 3: Church Sonatas.
- S2100 - new stereo sets from Yamaha.
Yamaha launches new stereo set. It consists of amplifier A-S2100 and CD player CD-S2100.
- Pre1 – new preamplifier from the Greek company Lab12
Lab12 is a small Greek company that produces high-end electronics. They have a handful of components in the portfolio, with a further number of products under development.
- RECORD NEWS: Jean-Marie Leclair - The Complete Sonatas for two violins - new Pure Audio Blu-ray from Sonos Luminus.
Sono Luminus releases new Pure Audio Blu-ray where Greg Ewer and Adam LaMotte plays violin.
- SA-CD.net expanding the repertoire
The site SA-CD.net has been a dedicated site for SA-CDs in 11 years. Now they expand the reprtoaret to include BD-A.
- Grand Crecendo Apassionata - new Speaker from Musical Affairs.
The unconventional speaker manufacturer Musical Affairs has developed an exciting speaker concept. See the new product presented by primus motor Hans Kortenbach, in a video report healed by the Norwegian distributor Moiz Audio.
- WiMP with news related to WiMP HiFi
WIMP marks the success of an incorporated lossless streaming by launching two news related to the WIMP HiFi this week.
- PENTATONE open download webshop with multichannel DSD
The Dutch label PENTATONE today opens a webshop. Where you get the opportunity that only very few other label offers.
- RECORD NEWS: Three new releases from TACET.
The German label comes with three new releases this time. There is a CD and two Blu-ray Audio.
- Cyrus Stream X Signature – new streamer in the Signature-series from Cyrus.
Cyrus today report from Cambridgeshire about a new streamer in their ultimate Signature-series. The name is Stream X Signature.
- Yamaha RX-V377 - The first and smallest 2014 springchicken from Yamaha
Few phenomenons are more regular than Yamaha and other Japanese manufacturers` Spring Release of new receiver collection. Yamaha releases the very smallest one first.
- BD-S677 - New universal player from Yamaha.
Yamaha launches new universal player with Miracast. The name is BD-S677.
- RECORD NEWS: Two upcoming releases from KKV.
KKV release two new CDs in March. The titles are 40 years `Credibility and Wood Songs .
- RECORD NEWS: Mozart - Violin Concertos Nos. 3, 4 & 5 on SACD Penta Tone Classics.
The Dutch record label PentaTone Classics has made a recording with Arabella Steinbacher, where she plays Mozart's last three violin concertos. The release is on multi-channel SACD.
- RECORD NEWS: News from TACET.
The German label TACET announces two new RELEASES. It's about a Blu-ray Audio, and a test disc for vinyl.
- Denon DA-300USB
Denon launches USB DAC with support for DSD. The name is DA-300USB.
- Oppo firmware update.
Oppo adds firmware upgrade. It applies to all four players of the latest generation.
- RECORD NEWS: Two new SACD from Linn Records in March.
Linn Records has two new releases in March. And even with such diverse composers as Mozart and Bruckner, the records have clear commonalities.
- RECORD NEWS: Six new multi-channel SACD from BIS.
The Swedish label BIS has six new releases in the horizon. All have SACD multi-channel tracks in addition to stereo.
- New upgraded 600 series of B&W
The British loudspeaker manufacturer Bowers & Wilkins upgrade the 7 year old 600 series. 600-S2 goes on sale in March 2014.
- Electrocompaniet with high bets.
The High-end manufacturer of Tau has had a tailwind, and has big plans for expansion in the immediate future.
- RECORD NEWS: Four new SACDs from Chandos in the horizon.
The record company Chandos has four new releases on SACDs on the horizon. They are all multi-channel records.
- RECORD NEWS: Bach - Schubler and Leipzig Chorales. Canonic Variations - Kåre Nordstoga.
Lawo Classics has released a double multichannel SACD with organ music of J.S.Bach. Kåre Nordstoga is the organist.
- EMMESpeakers GALILEO - New flagship from the speaker manufacturer in Milan.
The Italian high-end manufacturer EMMESpeakers is working on a new flagship model. GALILEO is the name.
- RECORD NEWS: Scarlatti – Christoff Ullrich – TACET
Tacet release double CD with piano sonatas by Scarlatti. Christoff Ullrich is playing the piano.
- EC Living – Electrocompaniet in the nude.
Electrocompaniet is focusing on a new series of compact wireless products. The series is called EC Living.
- New generation Blu-ray players from Sony.
At CES in Vegas a few weeks ago, the 2014 generation of Blu-ray players were presented. They called BDP-1200/3200/5200/6200.
- RECORD NEWS: Solfrid Molland - Musikken er mitt fedreland - KKV
After a rush of releases before Christmas, it has been a bit quiet from KKV the last month. But now the first record in the new year appears - Musikken er mitt fedreland.
- RECORD NEWS - Two new SACDs from PentaTone Classics in the horizon.
Penta Tone Classics has two new upcoming multi-channel SACDs. We're talking about Penta Tone Limited - Creating Timeless Classics and Tchaikovsky - Manfred Symphony.
- Model A - New amplifier from Audial
The Serbian manufacturer Audial has so far only produced DACs. Now they take a further step in the signal chain.
- RECORD NEWS. 4 new discs from Linn Records in February.
Linn Records launches four new releases in February. Three of these are multi-channel SACD.
- Oppo BDP-105D - New top model from Oppo.
The top model from Oppo gets its Darbee Edition, like the little brother BDP-103.
- Arcam FMJ A49 - New topclass amplifier from Arcam.
Arcam launches new top model of integrated amplifiers at CES. The name is FMJ A49.
- RECORD NEWS - New release in Pure Audio Blu-ray from 2L.
2L has an upcoming release on Pure Audio Blu-ray. The title is Symphonies of Wind Instruments, and the performance is the Royal Norwegian Navy Band.
- Mitchell and Johnson - New British star on Hi-fi heaven
The fledgling English manufacturer Mitchell and Johnson launches itself internationally at CES
- BBC Radio 3 debates pure audio productions on Blu-ray
Morten Lindberg 2L have on facebook pointed out that the British radio station BBC Radio 3 this morning had a longer touches on Blu-ray as pure audio productions. Many interesting perspectives, and we comment on some of them here.
- RECORD NEWS. Challenge Records - 2 new releases on SACD
Among Challenge Records` upcoming releases we find two SACDs. It's On The Spot with Calefax, and Symphonies nos. 1-8 of Hartmann.
- RECORD NEWS - New SACD from Dacapo Records - The Golden Age of Danish Partsongs
The Danish label Dacapo Records releases a new vocal multichannel SACD. The Golden Age of Danish Partsongs
- The Isis - new amplifier series from the ultimate high-end manufacturer Analog Domain.
Having had only monoblocks in its range, Analog Domain is launching a slightly more affordable amp line in The Isis.
- Azur 851D - new DAC / Pre from Cambridge Audio.
Cambridge Audio will unveil a new DAC in Vegas. The name is Azur 851D.
- RECORD NEWS - PentaTone - Bizet / Faure / Gounod - Multichannel SACD
PentaTone releases new multi-channel SACD recordings by Bizet, Faure and Gounod.
- Classé goes Class D
The Canadian manufacturer Classé produce their first amplifier with Class D. It is the power amp CA-D200.
- Thorhauge introduce new power amplifier.
The Danish producer Thorhauge launches new monoblock. We are talking about M.130.
- RECORD NEWS - Three new Blu-ray Audio from TACET.
The German label TACET complements a burgeoning Blu-ray Audio catalog with three new titles. This provides seven in total, all in multi channel.
- RECORD NEWS. Contact Tango - NEOS - Pure Audio Blu-ray
NEOS Music is a moderately large record label based in Munich. Now they release their first production in the format Pure Audio Blu-ray.
- PM8005 and SA8005 - Marantz find new tracks with their new stereo set.
Marantz launches a new stereo set. And both the PM8005 integrated amplifier and CD / SACD player SA8005 has an important new feature.
- Updated database for amplifiers with HT-bypass
- Three new speakers models from Meredian
- RECORD REVIEW: Kjell Mørk Karlsen - Meditatio
- PENTATONE - A portrait of an audiophile record label.