RECORD NEWS: 2L - Spes. Traditional Sami music meets western sacred music.Written by Karl Erik Sylthe
2L publishes new Pure Audio Blu-ray with the choir Cantus. Here it is music of several composers, within a common thematic framework. And this will be a release with the 3D format Auro-3D from 2L.
Frode Fjellheim is a Sami composer and musician, born in Mosjøen but resident in Trondheim. On this release he is main composer, in addition to being a performer. He collaborates with the choir Cantus, a collaboration which has an origin for more than 20 years ago. And it got a highlight when they together made the opening track to the Disney film Frozen in 2013. And the music they make on Spes is a fusion of traditional Sami music and western sacred music.
There are a number of other composers represented on this release. We notice especially Kim Andrè Arnessen, who is a composer of the work Magnificat on the fresh 2L release of the same title. But there is also music by Ēriks Ešenvalds, Mia Makarof, Eva Ugalde, Ko Matsushita, Nystedt and Franz Xaver Biebl.
Recordings are made in Uranienborg Church, a much used church for recordings by 2L and other record labels.
This release is a two-disc Pure Audio Blu-ray, which in addition to Blu-ray album holds a hybrid multichannel SACD. The recording is that we are accustomed to from 2L performed in DXD - 24bit / 3984kHz, and on Blu-ray disc we find traces with DTS HD MA in 24/192 and 24/192 stereo. Equally interesting is that this release also has a track in the 3D format Auro-3D, in the form of 9.1 24/96. It seems that this format which is now available on receivers and processors from Denon and Marantz, eventually becomes a compulsory additional tracks on 2L`s releases in Pure Audio Blu-ray.
Release date is set to April 2015.
Latest from Karl Erik Sylthe
- TEST: Sennheiser IE 600 - glitrende In Ear Monitorer som gransker musikken
- REVIEW: Ray meets Beam Gen. 2 - Sonos cannibalism?
- TEST: Ray møter Beam Gen. 2 - Sonos-kannibalisme?
- REVIEW: Wiim Mini – the little giant that keeps on growing
- Platesmaking 6-22. Ikke et snev norsk
- TEST: Wiim Mini – den lille giganten som stadig vokser
- PX7 S2 - nye trådløse hodetelefoner fra B&W
- TEST: Chromecast med Google TV – Strømmeboksen som går i strupen på Apple TV
- REVIEW: Marantz MODEL 40n - a highly musical all-rounder
- TEST: Marantz MODEL 40n – en særdeles musikalsk allrounder
- Platesmaking 5-22. Et stykke fra allfarvei
- REVIEW: B&W Zeppelin - the airship that refused to land
- TEST: B&W Zeppelin – luftskipet som nektet å lande
- Platesmaking 4-22. Mer helnorsk musikk
- Three new mid-range models from Denon
- Tre nye mellomklassemodeller fra Denon
- CD 60 - new CD player with high elegance and moderate pricetag from Marantz
- CD 60 – ny CD-spiller med høy eleganse og moderat pris fra Marantz
- Tre nyheter fra Sonos
- iPod er død – leve iPod