Sonos has an active policy when it comes to software updates, a necessary measure, not least in the current situation where there is abdominal challenger to Sonos` hegemony within multiroom streaming in the household class. Software version 5.0 was launched last spring and in September version 5.1 arrived, which we wrote about here. It contained several elements that made it easier to get started with Sonos, including in that you can start with a single Play: 1.
Already in November we could report the update Sonos 5.2, and here gave Sonbos ability to set up multiple user accounts for streaming services, like Spotify and others. 5.2 also had enhanced sound from the Soundbar.
In today's update - Sonos 5.3 - it is the usability of the app are in focus. And it is especially management of music conn various rooms greatly improved as a result of feedback from users.
Sonos 5.3 is first available in Beta for Android, but will be available in full version and iOS eventually.
Read more about Sonos 5.3 in the press release from Sonos below:
A Little Bit Faster Now
Sonos software update 5.3 brings simpler room control and faster access to all your music in the Sonos app for smartphones and tablets. Android users can try it in beta today.
When we launched our new Sonos applast spring, we applied everything we learned from our first ten years to bring you on to a flexible platform built to take you through all the great things to evolve in streaming over the next decade.
While we’ve received a lot of positive feedback for new features like the ability to search across all of your music sources in one place, we also heard from many of you that we made some things worse. It became more difficult to move music between rooms, the Sonos app for tablets did not make good use of the screen size, and some of the smaller features you loved in the previous app were not available (e.g. the track progression bar).
Today we’re introducing our next update, which is intended to make things better. Here are some of the main improvements:
- A faster way to manage all the rooms in your home:Effortlessly move your music around your home with a more accessible rooms menu, now available by tapping the top of any screen in the Sonos app.
- Improvements to the tablet app:New dedicated screens for what’s playing and music discovery on iOS and Android tablets makes toggling between screens more intuitive.
- Quickly switch between screens:Using your phone, swipe left to right to open the music menu. Swipe up to go straight back to what’s playing.
- Want to hear that verse again?The track progression bar is back in your now playing screen, just below the album art. Drag it to whatever point in the song you want to play.
- Easier to mix it up:Shuffle mode and crossfade are back where they belong. From the now playing screen, simply press the info button.
We hope you like where these changes are headed. It is our ultimate goal to bring you the best experience with music at home and you can expect that we’ll continue to push toward that with everything we do.
Try what’s new by downloading Sonos 5.3 in beta todayon any Android mobile device. The full release, including the updated app for iOS devices will be available in the coming months.